St Vincent and the Grenadines swimmer Alexander Joachim competed at 2017 Thunderbolts May Grand Prix Swimming Championships held at the Canada Games Complex in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada from May 26th to 28th, 2017. The Grand Prix featured in excess of 380 swimmers representing 15 swim clubs from Canada and the USA.
Alex emerged as the overall age group champion in the age 13 to 14 category. He is the only male Vincentian swimmer to be a multiple medallist at Carifta and also a multiple medallist at the Caribbean Championships. This was Alex second outing competing at a major Canadian swimming championships. He had great success in his last event where he swam as a 13 year-old. Alexander swam the Thunder Bay Grand Prix in his first swim competition as a 14 year-old and competed in the 13 to 14 year-old age category.
Alex competed in 8 individual races and as part of a relay team in 2 additional events. It was a very successful meet as Alex qualified for the Finals in all of his events. He set 6 personal best times and broke 3 SVG records previously held by Nikolas Sylvester and Shane Cadogan. He won a total of 7 individual medals and 2 relay medals. Included in his medal haul were 8 Gold medals and 1 Silver medal. Alexander’s individual results were:
- Overall swim champion in the age 13 to 14 category amassing over 340 points!!
- 200 meter Freestyle – 5th place; 2 minutes, 13.48 seconds – Personal Best (PB) time.
- 100 meter Butterfly – Gold medal; 1 minute, 4.97 seconds – Personal Best (PB) time and new SVG record.
- 50 meter Freestyle – Silver (2nd) medal; 27.52 seconds. PB time.
- 200 meter Individual Medley – Gold medal; 2 minutes, 27.58 seconds – PB time and new SVG record.
- 100 meter Breaststroke – Gold medal; 1 minute 16.36 seconds.
- 200 meter Freestyle Relay – Gold medal. Alex swam the 50 meter last leg of the relay in a time of 26.98 seconds.
- 200 meter Butterfly – Gold medal; 2 minutes 25.48 seconds – PB time and new SVG record.
- 200 meter Breaststroke – Gold medal; 2 minutes 45 seconds
- 100 meter Freestyle – Gold medal; 59.98 seconds. PB time.
- 200 meter Medley Relay – Gold medal; Alex swam the 50 Butterfly leg of the race.
Black Sands Swim Squad and SVG National swim coach Kyle Dougan said, “Alex’s performances are a terrific example for the other young developing swimmers in SVG. He shows what hard work, dedication and discipline can achieve. Alex is a leader in the pool and we look forward to seeing him continue to improve.”